Several Ways to Update Your Roof
When updating a commercial roof, there are several options to choose from. Many roofers may try to suggest that you need to completely replace your roof, but that is a costly process that may not necessarily be true. If your commercial roof has been well-maintained over the years, then replacing your roof may be a waste of time and money for everyone. Instead, you may want to consider a roof coating. This is usually a type of rubber or acrylic roofing material that coats your roof, providing protection and waterproofing benefits. To learn more about a roof coating in Pittsburgh, PA, contact Great Lakes Commercial Roofing at 412-256-8050.
Roof Coating vs Replacement
There is in fact a difference between a roof coating and a roof replacement. When replacing a roof, contractors will typically need to strip the entire roofing structure down to the decking. They then go through to repair any structural damage, then replace the roofing material. With a roof coating, there are several differences that make a huge impact.
When working with a roof coating, contractors will first determine the condition of the existing roof. If it is in good condition but needs a few minor repairs, they will go through to do that. Once the repairs are completed, a fresh coating is applied over top and the entire process is done.
Types of Roof Coatings
Most building owners want to know which roof coating is best for their building. That is often hard to answer because the best coating will be dependent on your needs and specifically where your building is located. Not all roof coatings are made the same, so you need to be sure that you are picking a coating that will be reliable and lasting on your building.
- Acrylic Coatings: Acrylic is by far one of the most inexpensive coating options on the market. It comes in a variety of formulas from a liquid, paint-like consistency to large flexible sheets.
- Rubberized Coatings: This coating is a type of bitumen roofing that has been modified with polymer additions. With this combination, the polymer-modified coating, or rubberized coating, is more flexible and more durable than other options.
- Elastomeric Coatings: Elastomeric coatings have a sort of elastic quality to them that allows the material to expand and shrink comfortably with temperature changes. This option is great for buildings in areas that experience regular weather changes.
- Bitumen Coatings: What sets bitumen apart from other coatings is the fact that this material uses asphalt or tar as the main waterproofing element. The material is often darker than others but does provide incredible waterproofing protection.
Roof coatings are a great investment that will provide property owners with a great deal of protection and longevity without breaking the bank. While structures like a rubber roof coating might seem easy enough to install yourself, it is highly recommended to rely on professionals. Otherwise, you run the risk of improperly applying the material, which can create more and more problems in the future. Additionally, you might accidentally get the material somewhere it doesn’t belong, like the hood of a car. If that happens, it will be very difficult to remove without damaging the vehicle!
Benefits of Roof Coatings
The number one question property owners want to know is, “Is roof coating any good?” and the answer is yes! There are many advantages to this system that make it one of the better options for commercial property owners.
- Inexpensive: One of the best advantages of a roof coating is how inexpensive it is. This means you can update your roof without spending an arm and a leg.
- Restorative: A roof coating can completely restore your roof while at the same time providing an environmentally friendly action. That’s because you aren’t trashing any old materials, but instead using them to prolong the life of your roof.
- Easy Application and Maintenance: This system is incredibly easy to install. For most roofers, it can take less than a day, which saves you time, money, and means your daily business will more than likely not be interrupted.
Investing in a roof coating can seem like a waste, like commercial blind cleaning in Blue Bell, PA, but neither of these services are a waste. Roof coatings help to provide a reliable, durable, and long-lasting roof structure that is as trusted as it is inexpensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do roof coatings work?
- Yes, roof coatings do work. They are designed to reflect light away preventing a build-up of heat inside spaces. Additionally, coatings are designed to be durable and long-lasting under constant exposure to sun, smoke, grease and more and they do hold up very well.
- How often should I coat my roof?
- That is dependent on several factors, primarily the quality of the roof coating used. Cheaply made roof coatings will require you to coat your roof more often than one that is made from quality materials.
- Does roof coating stop leaks?
- A roof coating can help prevent future leaks, but it will not stop an existing leak. That needs to be found, repaired, and dried before a coating application takes place. Otherwise, you will just be compounding the issue.
- What does roof coating do?
- Roof coatings provide a reflective, waterproof protective layer for flat or low-sloping roofing systems. These coatings are designed to be used in areas of high exposure, so they will not crack, break, or damage under these conditions.
- Which is the best roof sealant?
- In terms of the type of roof sealant, options like EPDM have shown to be some of the best for sealing and protecting roofs. Really anything that is rubberized or rubber-based will provide the protection, durability, and longevity you are looking for.
Learn More About Great Lakes Commercial Roofing Services by Giving Us a Call Today!
For more information about roof coating in Pittsburgh, PA, rely on Great Lakes Commercial Roofing. Call us at 412-256-8050 to discuss your options.